RACK day 24

Random Acts of Christmas Kindness
Let's countdown the 25 days to Christmas by performing
at least one Random Act of Kindness each day.

Pinned Image

"and suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly host praising God and saying Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill towards men" Luke 2: 13-14

Maybe I watch too much American Idol, but when I read that scripture the scene in my head is very theatrical.  There was one angel standing in the spotlight singing quietly then the light broadens and from the darkness you see a multitude of heavenly hosts step forward and provide back up for what turns into a very powerful, emotional song.  They are supporting one another.

I want to tell you about a story I witnessed at work a few days ago.


Two women were sitting in the lobby, both of them were eating breadsticks from a local pizza place and reading a book.  A man approached the first lady and asked if she had $1 to spare.  The lady looked over and realized she only had a credit card with her, and regretfully told the man she was sorry she did not have any cash.  He thanked her and moved on.  He repeated the question with the second woman and she did not have any cash either, but she offered him the breadsticks she was eating and he was very thankful for the food. 

These two women had the same thing to offer.  Neither one of them had cash, but they both had something to eat when approached by a man asking for help.  Why didn't the first lady offer her breadsticks?  She had nothing more or less to offer than the lady beside her, yet when someone came to her in need she turned him away.  The second lady did not have the dollar he was asking for, but she was quick to offer what she could.  She did not hesitate to give up her lunch for a stranger.

I am sad to tell you that I was the first woman in that story.  Every morning I pray for God to bring to me the people that most need to recieve a little kindness in their lives and when he brought that man to me I turned him away.  I am ashamed.   This is not my proudest moment and it is hard to share it in such a public way.  I can't go back in time and redo my actions, so instead I will go forward with a picture of this man in my head as a reminder of the time God answered my prayer by bringing me a man in need and I said "not now God, I'm hungry". 

"and suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of heavenly host" God provides back up!  We are not alone; whether we are singing praises over the birth of baby Jesus, or offering a few pieces of bread to a stranger, we are not alone.  I missed my opportunity and so God provided back up and showed me the way through someone else. 

Don't miss your opportunity today.  My back up had to come to the rescue.  Let your back up be the kind that stands behind you dancing and singing along to the awesome music you are providing. 

  • Thank the man who dresses up in a red suit and lets your children sit on his lap every year. 
  • Deliver poinsettia's to a few random houses
  • Hide a gift card between the books at Barnes and Noble
  • Visit someone who lives alone.
  • Give your breadsticks to the hungry man.


Christmas Day we don't see a lot of strangers, mostly family as we gather at home.  What will you do tomorrow as a true Random Act of CHRISTMAS Kindness?  I plan to leave the warm house and do a RACK for people I don't know, and I'm pretty excited!  I'll have some ideas for you early tomorrow morning, but it's a good idea to start thinking now!

Comments