Wednesday, December 21, 2011

RACK day 21

Random Acts of Christmas Kindness
Let's countdown the 25 days to Christmas by performing
at least one Random Act of Kindness each day.


“You can not do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.”

That quote might as well say "Stop procrastinating Misty!"  Although I will continue to do Random Acts of Kindness after December 25th has come and gone, there are some things I really wanted to do during this initial 25 day period.  Even though I may have listed some of these ideas before I am posting them again because they are some of my favorites, and I have yet to do them.  Five days left, time to get busy!

  • Leave a $1 bill in the toy section at the dollar store for a child to find.
  • Tape money to a vending machine and then sit back and watch as people walk by and check it out.
  • Tape quarters to the small toy/candy machines at a local restaurant.
  • Purchase a gift card and turn around and hand it to the person behind you in line.
  • Wrap a few small gifts and leave them in a public play area for children to find. 
  • Leave a box of groceries on the doorstep of a family in need.
**I want to share my RACK from yesterday.  I felt like I needed to be present for a RACK, specifically a RACK for a stranger.  We decided to buy a gift card at Pizza Hut and give it to someone who was already in there eating.  I prayed the whole way there that I would give the gift card to the right person, because I didn't know how I would decide which family was the most deserving.  Guess what?  There was only one family there when we arrived!  Must be meant to be!  I purchased the gift card and as I was signing my name on the receipt my hand was shaking.  I was nervous to walk up to a complete stranger.  Troy suggested we just ask the waiter to give it to this man and his daughter for us, but I knew I needed to be there so I could see the joy on his face.  I took a deep breath, walked over to his table, and said "This is for you.  Merry Christmas!"  He didn't quite know what to say, but he thanked us and wished us a Merry Christmas as well.  I needed to see that smile, that expression of joy on his face that couldn't be hidden. 

I do not do RACK's to make myself feel better, but yesterday I needed to give that man a gift card so that I could feel better.  It was hard, my voice was shaking, I was shaking and he probably thought I was a little bit crazy, but as soon as we walked out into the dark parking lot we both burst out the biggest smiles our faces had ever seen.  I am ready to do it again!  My batteries have been recharged and I am ready to put that smile on some more faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment