Sometimes toast makes all the difference


I love the smell of toast.  It's a comforting scent.  I love walking by the kitchen at work in the morning and smelling the bread in the toaster.  It is really just bread being warmed up so I guess it's not all that different than bread baking, and who doesn't love the smell of bread right out of the oven?

Warm bread is one of those great scents that most people agree on.  What is it about the smell of bread that makes us smile?  We buy a loaf of bread at the store every week because it's one of those staple items, but few of us get the luxury of actually smelling the bread bake.

Homemade bread makes me think of the Amish, or Little House on the Prairie.  I know several people who have tried to bring out their inner baker with the purchase of one of those fancy bread machines.  In my experience those expensive machines rarely get used.  For the most part we all go with the convenience of store brought bread.  (Although Ma Ingles is welcome at my house to bake bread anytime she wants!)

Toast is very popular at my office.  The scent of bread being warmed radiates through the halls all morning long.  This morning as I was commenting on the wonderful aroma coming from the kitchen a coworker offered me her last two slices of bread so I could make my own toast. 

What she didn't know is that I had an upset stomach and dry toast was just what I needed to help calm it down.  I was sick last night and was debating on whether or not to go to work all morning.  I finally decided that I could tough it out and hoped I would start feeling better soon.  Since Troy and I carpool one of us can not go home sick without the other one also having to leave work, so when my stomach ache started getting worse after I got to work I became a little anxious.  Lucky for me a friend just happened to offer me 2 pieces of toast when I needed it most. 

Two piece of bread was probably not a big deal to her, but to me it meant that I was able to make it through the rest of my work day.  You can make a difference in someones day and not even know it.  Who brought a sweet moment to your day?

Comments