Smiling behind the mask


We had an issue come up at work today that required us to all put on our safety masks.  They suck!  It gets hot really fast when you have to wear a piece of cotton over your mouth for an extended amount of time.  The rubber bands pull your hair, adding to the discomfort.  There was a time when we had to wear the mask, goggles, gown, and gloves every time we opened the mail.  In case you don't alreay know, I am a "mail handler" at work so having to dress up like a surgeon every time I handled the mail was a pain in my bootie.  Thankfully today turned out to be a false (although crazy) alarm.  I am thankful I do not have to wear surgical masks on a regular basis. 

Last night Troy told me that if you build a shelter that is 5 (I think) bricks deep you will be safe from the radiation that comes with a nuclear bomb...that's if you survive the blast.  We talked about this for a while and then both agreed that if there was a nuclear bomb we don't want to be one of the few that survive becuase it would be very hard to go on after that.  Although Troy did say that if we were one of the few survivors it would increase his chances of becoming President some day!  Guess we better stock up on bricks just in case...

Today I have no reason to fear for my life.  Someone could send something in the mail to do harm or a bomb could go off when I'm not in my brick cave.  You can't go through life worried about what might happen. 

Today I enjoyed the warm sun on my face and gentle breeze as I sat in the park on this beautiful October day.  Today I enjoyed some good laughs with a friend.  Today I smiled when I opened up my pb&j sandwich and realized that the jelly did NOT leak through the bread this time!  Today I got excited when I realized I still had a pack of instant oatmeal in my desk that I could eat for breakfast.  Today I am excited because we are having chili dogs for dinner and that means I don't have to cook.  Later today I will sit with my husband and listen to him tell me about his day as he eats the (free) cupcake I got him.

Today is a good day! 

Comments

  1. You kind of look like a duck with that mask on!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog!

    I like post-apocalyptic fiction, so I often ponder what life would be like after a catastrophic event (like a nuclear bomb) ... I think in reality, though, we can't worry about it. Hopefully, nothing like that will ever happen! :)

    What kind of cupcake did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin Spice cupcake with white chocolate cream cheese frosting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment